JOIN THE TEAM
Thank you for your interest in becoming a search and rescue volunteer. If you are ready to contribute your time and skills to SAR, we think you’ll find it one of the most rewarding volunteer commitments you will ever make as you make a difference in the lives of those who need us. Many of our members have been with the unit for years, even decades, and we always welcome new members to the team. Your first step is to fill out the Coconino County Sheriff’s Office Application for Search and Rescue. Once your application has been submitted to the Sheriff’s Office, your information will be screened. If the application is approved, you will be invited to attend an orientation and the annual New Member Academy. Academy courses are mandatory and must be completed before you will be placed on call and able to go on a mission. The $100 orientation fee must be paid in full prior to the start of the Academy. In addition, there is a physical requirement for all SAR members, who must be able to complete a two-mile hike with a 25-pound pack.
- SAR members pay annual dues of $25 and must commit to:
- Serve at least 50 hours per calendar year, including SAR mission time, training, maintenance of facilities and equipment, meetings, events and more;
- Participate in a minimum of 4 missions per year;
- Complete at least two 2 trainings per year;
- Maintain mission readiness with ongoing certification in personal safety, map and compass, GPS and ATV operation.
New Member Academy is held durring the Spring season of every year. New Member Academy takes place over several weekends, and attendance is mandatory for all Academy sessions.
For more information, download our membership brochure and application below (please return completed applications to the Coconino County Sheriff’s Office-SAR Unit at 911 E. Sawmill Rd). We look forward to meeting you and welcoming you to the unit.